One of the surest ways to pray prayers that will be answered is to pray in accordance with the Word. I did a similar post to this back in 2003 called Standing on His Word – the principle I’m touching on today is the same (spiritual warfare through declaring what is written), but rather than cherry-picking verses, I’m going to demo using a couple chapters. Let me start with some verses:
- If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. John 15:7 NKJV
- Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. …and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; Ephesians 6:13, 17b NKJV
So taking up our sword, let me give you a couple examples. I have taken to asking the Father what chapter He would have me pray for my church and then crafting short tweet-length prayers based on the verses. This first grouping is from 1 Peter 2 – if I prayed through this chapter again, the prayers might be slightly different so please don’t think this is the only way it has to be done, it’s just one way it can be.
- 1 Peter 2:1 (ESV) So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. – may it be so at PFT
- May we desire the milk of the word that we might grow – 1 Pet 2:2 (And meat too!) May we taste that YHVH (the LORD) is good! 1 Pet 2:3
- May we truly be a HOLY priesthood. Set apart. Laying down our lives as living sacrifices. Being stones that build together! 1 Pet 2:5
- Let us be called forth out of darkness into light! 1 Peter 2:9
- May we be diligent in abstaining from fleshly lusts, choosing instead to zealously pursue the things of the Spirit. 1 Pet 2:11
- May we submit to all authority with due reverence. 1 Peter 2:13-14
- Let us: Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor authority. 1 Peter 2:17
- May we endure suffering with grace and patience, recognizing how it helps us know Y’shua more. 1 Peter 2:18-21
- Thank You YHVH by Y’shua’s (Jesus’) stripes we ARE healed! 1 Peter 2:24
To give a second example, here is a set from 1 Corinthians 3 – again, this is only one example of how it could be prayed through.
- YHVH grow us from babes into mature believers who feast on spiritual meat and not milk alone. May we be spiritual not carnal. 1 Cor 3:1-2
- May we put aside all jealousy, strife and divisions as we passionately pursue the things of You, YHVH. 1 Cor 3:3
- May we be united under You, YHVH, allowing each to plant and water as You direct. All increase being unto Your glory! 1 Cor 3:4-7
- Thank You that we each receive our own reward according to our own labor. We labor to please You and according to Your will! 1 Cor 3:8-9
- Let there be no spirit of competition but rather each doing the portion You’ve ordained for Your own glory. 1 Cor 3:10
- Let us labor under the unction of Your Ruach HaQadash (Holy Spirit) and not from our flesh, for only that which You’ve prompted will last. 1 Cor 3:11-15
- Thank You that You’ve chosen to have Your Spirit dwell in us! What a blessing to be a living temple of YHVH!!! 1 Cor 3:16
- Help us to make choices to keep our temples holy and undefiled, pleasing dwelling places for You. 1 Cor 3:17
- May we not shy away from looking foolish to the eyes of the world, may we consistently choose what You say is wise. 1 Cor 3:18-19
- Let us not pursue vanity or the praises of men. May we relish being Yours and Yours alone. Amen! 1 Cor 3:20-23
Praying the Word creates a great way for believers to be able to agree in prayer because you’re not praying opinion, you’re praying the Father’s heart.
Father help us to raise our swords and engage in battle – unafraid – declaring “it is written” as we combat the ploys of the enemy and agree with Your word and will.