This week I watched again the Abraham bible story DVD, and so then I had gone back and reread it during my morning devotionals. So this morning as I came to Genesis 15:4 I had a thought…
And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
God said the child would come from Abram… He did not specify Sarai. God must have known how later one Abram and Sarai would misinterpret this. If He allowed it to happen anyway, there must be a valuable lesson here.
So I read on, and when I came to v16:2 I shuddered.
And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.
Uh oh! Wives take note here!
A little more context – from Romans 4:20-21 (a verse I quote often!)
Yet he [Abraham] did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.
As wives we have a great responsibility. The Lord speaks to our husbands – and they believe and stand in faith… we need to understand that:
- We are not the head of household (1 Corinthians 11:3) – God gives instructions for our family primarily to our husbands (when we are in right alignment). We need to trust our husbands to hear and follow and support what the Lord instructs them.
- We have the ability to sway our husbands (Genesis 3:6) – It is not our job to make the word of the Lord come to pass, if it is His word, it will come to pass – we need only to be obedient.
When I read this what screams out to me is that I need to pray more! I need to pray that:
- My husband would seek the Lord’s face at all times
- He would be “fully persuaded” of all the Lord promises
- He would be willing to trust and wait on the Lord to fulfill that which He has promised
- I would submit to the Lord and my husband
- I would understand the influence I have over my husband and that I would be a godly influence
Wow. As wives we have quite a responsibility…
Lord, please help me to fulfill this responsibility well. In a way that is pleasing to you and a blessing to my husband and his household. Lord, help me to remember to pray more for all the things I mentioned above – remind me that I need to be more vigilant as a prayer warrior for my husband… I have seen first hand the waves of emotion that flow in his life parallel the amount of prayer I’ve devoted to him. Help me to be better… help me to be a good wife, a blessing to him. Thank You! In Jesus’ name.