(Continued from Our Father)
“…hallowed be Thy name.”
- hallowed :
- a make holy : set apart for holy or religious use : treat or keep as sacred : CONSECRATE
- to respect greatly : VENERATE, REVERE
- venerate : to regard with reverential respect or with admiration and deference as being hallowed or as having nobility especially if accompanied with age : REVERE
- revere : to regard with reverence or profound respect and affection : practice an affectionate deference toward : show love and honor to
- to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow
- to separate from profane things and dedicate to God
- consecrate things to God
- dedicate people to God
- to purify
- to cleanse externally
- to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
- to purify internally by renewing of the soul
And Merriam-Webster defines…
- name :
- a word or sound or a combination of words or sounds by which an individual or a class of individuals (as persons or things) is regularly known or designated
- a symbol of divinity or an actual vehicle of divine attributes
In Greek name is onoma
- name: univ. of proper names
- the name is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one’s rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc.
- persons reckoned up by name
- the cause or reason named: on this account, because he suffers as a Christian, for this reason
Hallowed be Thy name.
Holy. Set apart. Revered. Honored. Admired. Loved. All unto Your name! Your name. That which identifies You. What identifies Your authority. Your deeds.
I love that You are set apart – holy, revered… who would want to serve a god who wasn’t? Whose very name didn’t identify His authority in heaven and earth. God we barely understand this! I barely understand it.
But I revere Your name. Or at least I am learning to. Help me, Lord! Help me to understand. I think understanding is the key to fear of the Lord. If we TRULY got who You are – if we understood Your name… what that precious name represents and the authority it carries; if we understood how HOLY You are… if we TRULY understood, how could we do anything BUT fear You?
Lord, will You bring me there? I sense that’s where we’re going, but I just want to say YES! I want it. I want to understand Your name… Your holiness… I want to truly have the fear of the Lord. I want to exemplify the characteristics that go with that and the blessings too!
I want to abide with You. Bless and not curse. Have integrity. Hate a mouth that is disobedient, gossips or stirs up trouble (and NOT to have a mouth like that either!). I want to hold nothing back from You. Obey Your commandments and teach the children Your commandments. Holiness unto the Lord!
Lord, I bless Your name. I bless that which represents Your authority and the pleasures You have… like I prayed from Psalm 115:3 last Thursday “I just say yes God. Do what pleases You! You are beautiful and I trust Your heart! Do what pleases You, Lord!”
You are holy and worthy of ALL praise and honor and glory. May my life bring it unto You. Give me a teachable heart and help me be a quick learner… I want to be more like You.
Thank You for Your patience, love and Your new mercies every day… I always need them 🙂